Saturday, September 27, 2008

My very own Sisters in Zion

Okay, So I have been thinking about this blog for quite some time. Tonight I went to Women's Conference and I began thinking once again about all of the many important "Church" women in my life. So, I wanted to take a few minutes to reflect on some of the women who have been such a great example to me and have helped me gain my testimony. I know this is totally not me, but here we go.
#1 - My Aunt Pat. When I was younger my Aunt Pat always let me go to church with them. I have always felt so comfortable in her home. There was a spirit that felt different to me than anywhere else. I think, her home and her ward is what made realize that there was something special about the church. She gave me my first set of scriptures for my eighth birthday and I remember knowing how special that birthday gift was. They are still the scriptures that I use and I love to read what she wrote to me in them.


#2 - Barbara Jackson - My Gymnastics Coach of all people. She probably doesn't even realize the impact she had on me. I can't even think of something in particular that she taught me or anything that she did. But, I do know a that her example had a profound effect on my life. She was strong, and she truly believed in the Gospel. She was my mom's best friend for a long time and they were nothing alike. Barb loved my mom for who she was never judged her or my family for anything. She let me come to church with them and I never felt uneasy calling her to ask if I could.
#3- Deanna Humes - This woman taught me the importance of the Sabbath day (and roast beef for Sunday Dinner). Her daughter Heidi was my very best friend through all of Jr. High and High School. I went to church with the Humes family all the time. I think it was mostly so that Heidi and I could hang out on Sundays. But in any case, Deanna always made me feel so welcome. I will never forget the spirit I felt in their home on Sundays. This is where I learned about Family Prayer. I remember, at the time, Heidi being annoyed when we had to stop what we were doing to read the scriptures or pray with her family but looking back now, I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to be a part of that.
#4- Annette Davis - This is my amazing Mother-in-Law. She just might be the strongest person I have ever met, when it comes to Faith. She has a true testimony of the gospel and it is so subtle. Never pushy, never judgemental, just Pure. She leads and loves by example. She has also taught me how to be a mom of boys. Her boys respect and admire her so much. She has taught them to be hard working gentleman. What more could any mom want.
#5 - Last but not least, Susan Juassi. Susan has been my friend (visiting teacher) for six and half years now. She has visited me every single month, without fail. This isn't the part that makes her amazing though. She is the kind of person that you have absolutely no doubt in your mind how she feels about our Heavenly Father, or the Gospel or the Church. She is confident and is so willing to share the truth with you. I love that she is so open and willing to talk about the things that she knows are true. If somebody were to ask me who I want to be when I grow up, I think I could honestly respond "Susan Juassi".
These five women have been the examples in my life that have made such a difference in my faith and testimony. I love them for women that they are most of all for the examples that they have been to me.

3 comments:

The Smith Family said...

That was such a sweet post. You probably think when you're writing something like that, that it's only for you to be able to express your feelings, but you'll be surprised how many people that touches. Thanks for sharing!

tamster17 said...

It was neat to read your post on the strong women influences on your faith & testimony in your life! You are so lucky to have had them all be a part of your life! It was also fun to see your cute little self in gymnastics! :-) And you're so lucky to have had Susan as your visiting teacher for over 6 years! I'm jealous!!! hahaha! :-) I guess I get to have her as my backyard neighbor, so I can't complain.

L.C.B said...

Jeri, That is such a special tribute. I can't wait to get my mom over hear to read it.